Many homeowners and business owners today are investing in security cameras to protect their loved ones, employees,and personal property.
A high-quality security camera can enhance one’s personal safety, improve worker productivity, and provide peace of mind.
But how do you choose the best security camera from the many options available?
Before investing in a security camera, the first thing you need to do is determine what you want the cameras to capture.
Do you want to be able to monitor specific rooms or external areas around your home or business to see what is happening at all times?
Do you want to see a specific event and determine exactly what is happening?
Or do you want to see individual people and determine exactly who is involved?
After you determine the kind of information you want your security camera to capture, you should also ask yourself these questions:
- Will your cameras be placed indoors or outside?
- Do you want the cameras to be a visual deterrent or discreetly placed out of sight? For example, mini dome cameras are more discreet than bullet cameras or box cameras. Cameras come in different sizes and you may prefer the look of a dome over a bullet or vice versa. Dome cameras are more resistant to vandalism and are the better choice for publicly-accessible areas.
- How large of an area do you want to view with the camera? Do you want to be able to adjust the field of view? Depending on your needs, you may want to invest in a camera with a varifocal lens that allows you to change the area of coverage.
- How much image clarity and detail do you require? The higher the resolution of the camera, the better the definition, clarity and quality of the picture. A high resolution camera could capture the detail of a person’s face or a license plate number from a certain area.
- Determine how much light there is in the indoor or outdoor viewing area. Is the lighting controlled? This is an extremely important consideration if you want to be viewing an area at night. If lighting is low in the monitored area(s), you will need a camera such as a day/night camera with IR (Infra-Red) built in. Even with IR cameras any lighting you can provide may enhance the image.
As you can see, there are many factors to consider before investing in a security camera. It is always wise to consult with a home or business security expert to ensure you are getting the most for your investment and selecting the camera(s) that are best suited for your specific needs and objectives.
Cabling Systems, Inc. offers expert security camera and security system advice and assistance to home owners and business owners throughout the Northern Virginia area.
Give us a call at (540) 439-0101 if you are considering security cameras for your home or business. We will be happy to answer your questions and offer guidance to help you make the best decision.